Federal laws protect Mississippi workers’ rights

| May 24, 2019 | Uncategorized |

We’ve all had jobs in which we’ve felt overworked and underappreciated. Maybe you worked hot summer days doing construction, or you put in long hours washing dishes. But no matter the job, as worker, you have certain rights guaranteed to you.

Minimum wage

In Mississippi, there is no state minimum wage, so the minimum wage is determined federally: $7.25 per hour.

If you are a regular hourly worker, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) guarantees your employer must pay you at least the federal minimum wage. According to the FLSA, you must be paid for any time you are on duty or any time you are mandated to be at a prescribed place. You must also get at least minimum wage for any work performed from home, time it takes to travel, training and any probationary period.

The federal minimum wage for tipped employees — and the minimum wage for tipped employees in Mississippi – is $2.13 per hour. However, if tips plus the hourly $2.13 are not equal to or greater than $7.25 per hour, it is the employer’s responsibility to make up the difference.


The FLSA regulates overtime pay in Mississippi. Hourly employees must be paid one and a half times their base wage for any hours over 40 worked in a week.

For salaried employees, overtime is more complicated. To calculate overtime, divide the salary by the number of hours the salary covers. If the regular hours are less than 40, you will earn regular pay for each hour up to 40 hours, and then time and a half for each hour after 40.

Underpaid? Get help

If you believe you have not received the minimum wage or you have not gotten overtime when applicable, the law may be on your side. You may wish to seek the advice of a lawyer to help you recover any pay you owed to you. State and federal regulations ensure that all employers must treat their workers fairly, and no matter the job, you deserve to have your rights protected.  If you believe you have not been paid or classified correctly by your employer,  call George B. Ready to discuss the matter and let him protect your rights.